Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Schmatta: Rags to Riches to Rags

On this rainy afternoon I turned on the TV, and Schmatta: Rags to Riches to Rags, an HBO documentary, was just starting. HBO docs are always terrific, and this one is no exception. After some research I found that it first aired in 2009, so I somehow missed it its first go around.
I'm only halfway through, but its an incredibly educating look at the garment industry in New York, and its current decline.
Great interviews with the dying breed of original designers and workers, who are quite the characters, and awesome footage from the era.
Its a story of fashion history and about the marketing, politics, unions, and jobs moving overseas.
If you find it on one night an give it a look, I think you'll really enjoy it.

Trailer here:

No comments:

Post a Comment